The village’s origin is not exactly known, but it is cited in a document of the monastery of La Vid in 1196. Its real name was Villanueva la Cardosa. It was most likely founded or repopulated during the times of the Count Fernán González, in the Reconquista (“reconquest”).
Places of interest
Routes to carry out
The winery of Santo Cristo del Consuelo and famous underground wine cellars like the Vandeles wine cellar, come from Villanueva de Gumiel.
El Novegal, located in the village of Villanueva de Gumiel, was built with wood and sun-dried brick almost 100 years ago but it was restored in 2006 respecting the materials and traditional architecture of the area.