The name of the village come from the medieval period and derives from the word “Toba”, whitish limestone land that is abundant in the area. The lago (lake), for its part, disappeared but it conserves a great number of natural springs, including during drier seasons.
The wise Benedictino P. Serrano cited Tubilla del Lago amongst the fortified villages in the X century. The village was founded in the IX century and in the X century its castle and fort were built. It was cited for the first time in a document on the 1st of January 1188 in the monastery of La Vid. However, it is not listed in the Book of Behetrías, which is a problem in improving the knowledge of the village.
Francisco de Berganza in “Antiguedades de España” says of its parish church: it’s was connected to the monastery of Cardeña in 950. It has Romanesque remains and a main altarpiece, sold in the 40s in order to raise funds for its own restoration.
The Valdebilla Winery is found in its district. The winery is a family business and recently established. It insists on making the vine growers aware of the importance of taking care of the vineyards. It offers wine of great quality: “Valdelago”.
Moreover, the village has the “Kotarr Racing” race track, with a 2,250 metre multifunctional track. It has been adapted for car, motorcycle and go-kart competitions and also has a small circuit for children.
Routes to carry out
The country cottage ‘1904’ is located in the centre of the village of Tubilla del Lago and was not built in this year but in 1900, and in 2010 it was completely restored.
This hostel provides 22 beds in the middle of the village called Tubilla del Lago. There are two separate rooms with ten bunk beds, two bathrooms with independent showers and an extra bed in each one.
This cottage is located at the top of the village and was for many years the doctor’s house. Today it has been restored into two floors and it sleep up to 8 people throughout the space of four bedrooms: