This village was a crossroads which had the old Valladolid-Ariza railroad line, serving as a resting place for people travelling through and goods were also carried through on this line. The village is located merely 8 Km from Roa.
Amongst its artistic jewels it has the carving of la Virgen Dolorosa from the XVIII century, which is integrated into the altarpiece of Cristo in the parish church and propriety of the famous Escuela de Imaginería Riosecana (art school) in Sierra de Medina de Rioseco.
The aforementioned church from the XVI century is located in the highest part of San Martín de Rubiales. Its construction was inspired by the architecture of Burgos Cathedral but, because of spacious issues, bearing in mind the proximity of the bordering house, the right-hand side was cut out, leaving the only the central and left-hand side rooms.
The chapel of San Juan, from the middle ages, was built in 1708. The chapel is dedicated to San Juan Bautista as testifies its baroque carving. It has a stone altarpiece with the image of la Virgen de Fatima (bought from the village of Mambrilla de Castrejón) and the image of San Antonio de Padua.
Moving away from religious buildings, we must mention “Socastillo”, a hill where one can spot the radiant Ribera del Duero and numerous villages of the region. The fortress that is located on this hill suffered an attack from the son of Almanzor in 1007. The chronicles of the battle are detailed at tourist information boards at the top of the hill. It is accompanied by a recently created artificial lagoon. The lagoon was created to irrigate the nearby fields.
The Medieval Bridge that crosses the Duero was used a lot as a consequence of the Flour and Semolina Factory “La flor de San Juan” (“The flower of San Juan”), on the edge of San Martín de Rubiales, where numerous villages of the area brought their wheat harvests. The bridge has been reformed many times: in 1664, from 1731 to 1738, in 1775 because of a flood and in 1912, removing its curved shape.
A village of Wineries / Wine cellars
In this village there is no shortage of typical wine cellars, dating back to the year 1600. The ownership could be a family or a cooperative of various residents. One can find individual premises within many of the area’s shared wine cellars.
Its construction took place during downtime, when the tasks of the land could not be carried out, either because of the season or because of the harshness of the weather. They were done manually; with a spike and removed the excess earth by hand or with the help of livestock.
In many, barrels are made for the production of wine and there are still numerous wine cellars that house barrels. Other wine cellars reform their facades with the stone of the old church of Santa Maria, which is located next to the current cemetery.
Two wineries are especially popular: the Vicente San Juan Winery. A family of vine growers, which resulted in the construction of a winery right at the heart of the Ribera del Duero region. The other is the Los Matucos y Vince John Winery.
Routes to carry out
Las Sendas (The Paths) is a rural walk starting at the fronton tennis wall of the village until the village of Bocos de Duero, in the province of Valladolid. One will walk through the Sanmartinenses and enjoy the beautiful scenery of the River Duero’s plains.