It was one of the 33 hamlets of the Villa y Tierra de Roa Community, when in 1143, Alfonso VII conceded the exemption of Sepúlveda.
At just 28 Km from Aranda de Duero, its San Juan Chapel, built in 1737 and restored in 1995 by the ‘Friends of San Juan’ Association, is found on top of the hill where wineries/wine cellars are plentiful, a place known as Torrejón. Its walls shelter the so called Holy Trio: San Roque, la Virgen del Carmen and San Juan Bautista.
The historical value of the Ribera del Duero region is completed with the church of La Asunción de Nuestra Señora that dates back to the XVIII century. Dependant on the Tórtoles Parish, in the Archpriesthood of Roa, it is decorated with Baroque style altars. It is conceived as the sum of two sections: a nave and presbytery (enhanced by a hemispherical vault of Pedro de Arecha).
Routes to carry out
Neo-classical in style, with beautiful gardens and an impressive fountain, it would make a perfect setting for films, but its true mission is to make Ribera del Duero DO wines in the town of Anguix, Burgos.